Sep 11, 2018

Updates & Success For The Fall 2018 Season



We're just getting settled back into our "normal" routine at the office and with the family. My son started 5th grade - and it's been awesome to see the world through his ever-widening eyes. The school schedule has changed a bit from the summer schedule and combined with our especially wet and rainy weather this has put me in a bit of a funk. Don't know why...it should not be this way because so many awesome things are happening I should be doing happy dances behind my desk.

We're back to our regular License Restoration Services office hours of 9:30 - 5:00 M- F. No more summer hours with Friday closings at 1pm.

Great New License Laws...


A law that was passed last year is changing the way PennDOT looks at credit for prior suspension time. This means a lot of people who have been hurting for a long time will get relief from the current broken system. This has been a fight close to my heart for many years and one of the biggest issues with our current driver license system. The issue stems from the requirement to submit a license or acknowledgment form to start the clock toward suspension time. Countless people have served years of suspension to only find out they received no credit and have to start all over again....talk about frustration. This has been the single largest contributor to the Suspension Snowball effect.

Well...our lawmakers finally listened and have done something to correct it. With the new law, PennDOT is now more inclined to give credit and we've seen a huge increase in the granting of back-credit over the last few months. It is still going to take time, and I have concerns over how PennDOT will handle the credit adjustment requests....but what a win for the drivers!

Great PENDING new license laws...






There is a new bill sitting in the Senate Transportation Committee since April 2018 that is gaining support. This bill would eliminate license suspension for certain non-moving violations like minor drug charges and other financial matters. This has been another strong arguing point when we talk about license suspension being used to enforce non-safety or civil concerns. It turns the state into a debtors prison effectively criminalizing poverty and preventing someone from being a productive member of society. License suspension causes a ripple effect on a person's career, family, and personal relationships that cascade a recovering individual into a cycle of offending again to just survive. Senator John Rafferty Jr. (The chair of the Senate Transportation Committee) states he will support this bill and we should expect to see its consideration sometime soon. My only hope is that it becomes retroactive to all those suffering the effects of license suspension now.

New car...and a dent! (UGH)


My Hyundai lease was up this month so it was time for car shopping last month. I wanted something with a bit more room to transport people as I've been known to do and Toyota offered me a heck of a lease on a Highlander. It takes a little getting used to a bigger vehicle - that's for sure. The bad news is that not even 2 weeks old and it was smacked with someone's door. I've got a big ole dent and scratch...it won't buff out. I did get the dash cam installed right away. I suggest everyone have a camera recording because a lot of crazy stuff happens out there and they can be great protection from traffic tickets and accident blame. 

Here is the one I use.


So far it's given me some great views when something interesting happens during my drives. Sadly it did not catch the door ding artist who didn't leave a note or try to find me. I'll have to try to post some interesting videos in the near future. I expect a few good years out of my new ride - then maybe the next lease will be a pickup truck...maybe.

Pedal Power




My cycling adventure has been a steady progress. It's been a year since I started out riding regularly and the improvements have been just awesome. I reached my goal of commuting to work and with the cooler weather I expect this to happen more frequently. It is not easy preparing to, then riding into the office but it sure taught me to appreciate that I have the option of driving. This was apparent on those especially hot and rainy days we've been experiencing in Eastern Pennsylvania. For those of you stuck with no other way to work - I feel especially for you right now.


I hope everyone had a great summer - and the changing season brings fun times. Drive safe and let's get ready for Halloween Fun!

-Vince

No comments: