Aug 30, 2011

License Suspended For Not Paying a No Insurance Ticket - Paid But License Still Suspended, WHY?

My driver's license was suspended for driving without insurance/license and not showing up for court dates. I did have my license and insurance at the time but did not have my wallet with me. I was wondering how much it will cost me to reinstate my driver's license and if I might have to take the driver's test over again or not. If I have documentation that I had a license and insurance at the time would it help me? I'm in Pennsylvania if that helps. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

You have two Pennsylvania license suspension issues here. The first is that you did not respond to a traffic citation. When that happens a notice (DL-38) was sent to PennDOT informing them of your "failure to respond" and PennDOT suspended your driving privilege. This type of suspension is a "Indefinite Suspension" and as soon as you respond to the court it should be lifted. The notice you received from PennDOT told you to respond to remove the suspension, and you responded by paying the citation. This payment also included a plea of guilty to the violation of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code §1786(f). This guilty plea caused problem number 2 for you.


Once you responded to the above ticket by paying the fine and pleading guilty, your suspension for the "failure to respond" was removed. PennDOT was then notified of the conviction for 1786(f)f and you were hit with a driver license suspension for 3 months. So the new suspension is for a set term of 3 months, and you have to surrender your license to PennDOT to start the clock toward that time.


To restore your license after the three months it will cost you a restoration fee ranging from $25 - $100 (depending on your specific violation) and you will need to prove that you have current automobile insurance.


If you had insurance at the time of your stop, you may be able to have the suspension time removed and have your driving privilege restored sooner. Give me a call to find out more, and I can go over your options on how to get this mess cleared.


There are a series of violations that will result in suspension time just by paying the fine. You should always make sure you know the full penalty before paying fines and pleading guilty to any charge.





No comments: