Apr 14, 2015

Can I drive a 50cc scooter with a suspended license?



Common emails:

I lost my drivers license for a few years because I had one DUI and was in the county jail on drug charges. I was not drinking or using drugs or even in a car when I was arrested and PennDOT added on suspensions. I spent 6 months in the County Jail, Pittsburgh, PA and 6 months in a drug rehab program. I was recently released.

I have been working for the past 9 months for a local restaurant, I go to community college at night and regularly attend doctor appointment, therapy and my group meetings. I only owe a few hundred in fines that I'm paying every month. I have to rely on our bus service which is terrible. They are cutting route's and eliminating services where sometimes I have to wait 1-2 hrs for a bus.

I want to find out what I need to do to get my restricted license. My mom was going to buy me a 49 cc scooter to get around. I heard in VA you don't have to register it, have insurance, or a valid driver's license to operate a scooter under 50cc in VA. But I don't know what the requirements are in PA. I believe you have to have a valid license now I'm really screwed. It's getting more and more difficult to get to work, school, therapy and doctors appointments. Let me know if you can help me.








Reply:

Unfortunately the drug charge disqualifies you from getting a limited work license (OLL) in Pennsylvania. Even with your work and school requirements PennDOT will not grant the work license.

In Pennsylvania you must have a valid license to operate any motorized vehicle. Even scooters or mopeds under 50cc require a valid license.

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Oshkosh said...

I have a suspended license and would like to know if I drive a 35 cc moped to get to work

Oshkosh said...

I have a suspended license and would like to know if I drive a 35 cc moped to get to work

Oshkosh said...

I have a suspended license but need to get to work. Can I drive a 35cc moped?

Oshkosh said...

I have a suspended license and would like to know if I drive a 35 cc moped to get to work

Writin123 said...

Pennsylvania laws are very archaic and a non progressive state with a bunch of dumb hicks as our legislators. Pa is stuck in the stone age. Having the same experience, all I can say is good luck and hang in there. Ps. One thing you can do is the a regular bicycle and buy a motor kit for it on Amazon for under $150 and modify the bike. Now riding this is technically illegal with a suspendedicated license. But you are much less like to get pulled over. If you are arrested, the cop has the burden of proof. How can he prove the engine was even on and that you weren't peddling and the motor was off? 1469806094&sr=8-1&keywords=bicycle