Jul 5, 2011

Traffic Ticket Email Scam

Keep an eye out for this one, as it's the first time I've seen it before. I got an email that said "UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET" with an attachment. The body of the email stated that I had violated a New York traffic law of traveling over 55 MPH or in common terms speeding!


I have not been in New York in a long time, and I knew that YOU WILL NEVER GET A TRAFFIC TICKET BY EMAIL, so I knew this was a scam. There was an attachment that I was required to download, I'm sure that once I downloaded the attachment I was in for computer trouble or it was going to ask for personal information. If they get your personal information, it will them be possible to create a fake drivers license and rack up tickets and even suspension time on your driving record. It may also lead to other greater identity fraud problems that can effect your credit and criminal records. Keep an eye out for this scam traffic ticket email, and make sure you delete it. You don't have to worry about any potential tickets being emailed to you....ever!

Traffic ticket scam email about NYC traffic tickets.



The body of the traffic violation email below.


New York State — Department of Motor Vehicles
UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET
POLICE AGENCY
NEW YORK STATE POLICE
Local Police Code
THE PERSON DESCRIBED ABOVE IS CHARGED AS FOLLOWS

Time
7:25 AM
Date of Offense
07/02/2011
IN VIOLATION OF
NYS V AND T LAW
Description of Violation
SPEED OVER 55 ZONE
TO PLEAD, PRINT OUT THE ENCLOSED TICKET AND SEND IT TO TOWN COURT, CHATAM HALL., PO BOX 117



As you can see it is not a very sophisticated email, and it was easy to note that I was nowhere near New York on the date specified. Some people may have some questions, and will look toward the attachment for more information. This is how the virus spreads. Once again, traffic tickets that can affect your license will never be sent to you through email, so  know that it is always a scam when you see something like this.

Email scams and virus hoaxes are getting more common. The number of infected computers, and users falling for scams are growing. Please be careful of any attachments in email that you get, and make sure your virus scanning software is up to date.

9 comments:

Ann said...

Thanks for the post. I just got this spam and wanted to look it up for information and to find out where to report it. If you find this information, would you include it in your post? Thanks

Anonymous said...

Got the same one today. It had some obvious info like the town, return address, and other things missing. Deleted without opening attachment.
I figured if it was real, they'd do a better job of identifying themselves and me.

Anonymous said...

Got the same thing today. Very annoying. Do people really fall for this?

Anonymous said...

yupp... same here, but alot of similar scam (virus) emails going around these days such as the DHL and UPS, package info in attachment scam, as a RULE info will be in "the body" of email NEVER as an attachment on Delivery services... and NO 'LEA'(Law Enforcement Agency) will notify u by email as to a ticket (traffic violation) ...thanxs the info though on this one :)

Anonymous said...

I just got one too. I live in Nevada. I have not lived in New York since I was six years old!

Anonymous said...

My friend just got it and screwed up his computer, first it took out all his icons, documents, music, etc etc. We tried doing a system restore, got the icons back and a few documents but the computer still wasn't working right. So we decided to just do a clean wipe.

Anonymous said...

I just got the same email. I had to laugh at the stupidity of the scammers. So many other things wrong beside lack of important information. Usually tickets, even those mailed have a unique id/account/ticket number. If they did email something like that, not that they do, they would do it individually and not as a mass email because of privacy issues. And I don't know about all states, but in mine your vehicle tag is not registered to an email address. They don't even ask you for it as an option or side note. I for one have several email addresses. One I use for work, to sign up for crap I don't need, one that came with my internet provider, one for my blog. None of which are registered with my full name. The amount of work it would take for the DMV to even figure out which email was my "real" email to send this to me is laughable. Snail mail is so much easier and accesable to them.

Anonymous said...

My email arrived this morning. I live in Illinois and was nowhere near NYC that day.

PCV License said...

I have never got such an mail but heard a lot about it. It's better to ignore such mail and not to response on any such things.