Jan 24, 2010

I was recently pulled over for having a broken headlight. The officer asked me what happened and I told him that I had hit a guard rail when it was snowing a few weeks back. He took my driver's license and said he would be back. When he came back to the car he asked me if I was aware that my license was suspended, which I was not. When I asked him why it was suspended he told me that I had two driver's license numbers and that one of them was suspended for a truancy violation in 2004. I currently have a valid license and have always had the same driver number from when I got a state ID in 2005. When I originally went to PennDOT to get my permit I asked them if my license had been suspended due to this violation and they told me that it had not been. suspended pa drivers license

So here I am with a valid license and a fine for driving on a suspended license 1543A and my car is sitting on the side of the road about 5 blocks from my house because I can't drive it. I'm going to try to fight the ticket in court but I have no idea what to say and what the laws on this kind of thing are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, you are NOT legal to drive. The piece of plastic you have in your pocket is worthless. Your privilege to drive has been suspended. You do not have a valid PA Drivers License.

What will happen next is that you will have a hearing to decide on that violation. If you are found guilty of driving with a suspended license (Vehicle code 1543A) you will have to pay a fine and your license will be suspended for a year.

Next, You need to get in touch with someone at PennDOT who knows what they are doing. It sounds like you have two ID numbers and they need to be merged. Once they are merged you will have to deal with the truancy violation. There are two things that might be keeping that suspension alive.

1) Do you owe any money? If you never finished paying the fine you could have an indefinite suspension for not responding.
2) How long was the suspension time you were issued? You did not have a license to turn in to PennDOT. You probably never got credit for the suspension time. You need to fill out DL16 acknowledgment of license suspension to get credit for your suspension on that older license number.


To get the two numbers merged you should write to PennDOT and complete the forms located here.

Send the form to;
PENNDOT - Office of Risk Management
PO Box 69005 - Harrisburg, PA 17106-9005

Tell them exactly what happened, give both ID numbers, and all information they ask for.

Once you have sent both forms you will start to get a lot of mail from PennDOT so please make sure they have the correct address for you. You need to read these letters and follow them, missing ONE step can result in you getting lost with no license for a long time.

If you are still having an issue getting all of this fixed you can give us a call at License restoration Services.

No comments: